Sunday, August 18, 2013

Good times at the Roland Museum

Stopped down at the Roland Museum this afternoon with my son. I've been there before, but it's been a couple of years. Actually, I was there a week ago, but I couldn't stay long. On that trip, I was dropping off the baseball that was the first pitch thrown at Britson Park.

Anyway, on my trip today, I really enjoyed myself. I endorse going and stopping in and checking the place out. It is open on Sundays in the summer, from 1 to 4. So if you want to go, you have two Sundays left this year.

My favorite thing is looking at old yearbooks. They have yearbooks from Roland High School. As you thumb through them, you can find people that still live around here. Having only lived here 16 years or so, I don't remember the old school, but it is interesting to look at photos of the old school and imagine it sitting there where our current middle school is.

As mayor, something I found really interesting was the old city council minutes. I found a book with the 1899 city council minutes. It was kind of a hard read (especially without my glasses). It was written in cursive (good penmanship though), but that "old style" cursive is kinda hard to muddle through.

The trophy display is fun too. All the basketball and softball trophies from Roland High are there. There are some pretty sweet looking trophies.

So again, stop in some time and take a look. Even if you are like me, and not a native of Roland, it is certainly interesting to see historical Roland.

Finally, a thanks goes out to the folks that volunteer to maintain the museum, and sit there on Sundays to keep it open.

No comments:

Post a Comment