Sunday, January 8, 2012

Proclamations


I get a lot of requests from groups to have proclamations done for various things. And pretty much every one of them has merit for a worthy organization or reminder. I guess my favorite that I do is Poppy Day, which is a great remembrance of our veterans.

Part of the problem tho, is that if I officially proclaim it, it goes in the paper, and we have printing costs and all that. It is not a lot of money, but I do care about getting out of hand on that. So I do not formally proclaim most of them.

I got a request the other day from an organization that I had not heard of, but I thought was kinda interesting, as somewhat of a history buff. It is Iowa1812.org. They were requesting a proclamation regarding a remembrance of the War of 1812 and its 200th anniversary. Wow time flies!

So I am not going to do an official proclamation, but if you are surfing, check out their website, which I linked above. Obviously that war was before Iowa was formed, but you may be a descendant of a veteran of that war. Also, there is an interesting link about Fort Madison, Iowa, and how it was in 1812. So anyway, the true anniversary is this June. But kudos to the folks keeping the memory alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment