Sunday, May 16, 2010

Politics

The purpose of this blog is mostly to convey info about stuff going on in Roland. However, if you my indulge me, gonna talk a little politics, as that occasionally interests me.

We have a primary coming up on June 8. So if you are registered with the Republicans or Democrats, you can go out and vote.

These other elections do affect what goes in Roland. The people vote for candidates that are buddies with uber-environmentalists, you see water quality standards tighten so much, you will soon see large increases in your sewer rates. Maybe you are worried about the mussels in our streams, and maybe you don't mind paying an extra $50 a month to save them. Maybe you don't give a rip about mussels, and would rather spend the extra $50 on something else. In either case, your vote does affect Roland.

Currently I am registered Republican, though I have been registered Democrat somewhat recently. Mostly I go back and forth to participate in the caucus process, to support a candidate I like. And I think the caucus is one of those fun Iowa things to do. I don't particularly care for either party, as I am of a libertarian bent. But the Libertarian Party doesn't have candidates in many races so I try to go with my perceived next best choice.

So anyway, I still haven't decided what primary to go vote in next month. On our closest local election, Rick Sanders is running unopposed in the Republican primary for County Supervisor. I think he would be a good supervisor, and will be voting for him in the fall. The Republicans have contested races for Governor, and also I believe Treasurer. My guy, Chris Rants, dropped out of the governor race. None of the 3 remaining is particularly appealing to me. If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Rod Roberts.

I will be voting for Eric Cooper for Governor in the fall. He is the Libertarian Party candidate. He's not gonna win, but he is a good guy, and his ideas would be successful at the state level if they could be implemented.

If I flip to go vote in the D primary, I would vote for James Strohman for County Supervisor. He is currently a supervisor, and does a good job of watching your tax dollars down in Nevada.

I think the only other contested race on the D side is for US Senate. The last thing this country needs is another trial attorney in the Senate, I don't care what party they are in. So Roxanne Conlin--no way! Here is her mug shot from her drunk driving arrest in the 90s. I guess I will endorse Bob Krause for US Senate on the D side, because my buddy Chris in Story City likes him.

Political elections are way more fun than American Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment