Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Parade and Program




It is not elaborate, but Roland was fortunate to have a beautiful day for the Memorial Day parade and program at the Roland Cemetery. I've been to the parade pretty much every year I have lived here, but this is the first time that I have gone out to the cemetery to watch the program there.

The flags gently flapping in the breeze, with simple presentations by the RMS band and various speakers, made for a relaxing, reflective morning, as people lounged and milled about the cemetery. The featured speaker, Commander Brick Imerman of Guthrie Center, now retired, and nephew of Vale and Dorothy Peter of Roland, gave a great talk.

Imerman's resume is a mile long, with his efforts in the US Navy. But his talk was about the sacrifices of those in his family. He talked about how those common people did extraordinary things in time of war. I don't imagine it was the greatest speech of all time, but the stories really captured my attention. It made me reflect on all those Americans that have served in the military, and how their efforts are giving me a shot to grill hamburgers and wash my pickup on a beautiful Iowa day.

So if you missed it this year, I endorse at least making it to the parade next year.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, attended the Roland Memorial Day program. Like you, I enjoyed the Middle School Band (especially the tuba section). However, I must disagree with you on the keynote address.

    I found Imerman to be an exceptional speaker. Not only did he demonstrate his appreciation for our great country and those who have served it, but he also showed an appreciation and understanding of the importance of one's own family history. As he shared some of the letters written by his father, I found myself wishing he would compile them in a book to share with all. I know I would read it.

    The Commander's speech was very moving! I cried for most of the last half of his talk. All I can say is that I wish I could have attended the speeches you feel are greater, for to have topped this, they must have really been phenomenal.

    I wish there was some way to get the John Stewart Mill quote he opened his speech with in front of more people. The words hold as true today as when Mill said them, and I think it is something all Americans need to hear right now.

    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill


    Catherine Steward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine, if you re-read my commentary, you will see I said he gave a great talk. That's why I wrote about it, he did a good job of story telling.

    Maybe our difference is semantics. I don't know that it is an all time great, and I say that, merely because of when and where. It inspired those who heard him in Roland, but I don't know that it is going to change society. Not his fault. I just think the all time great are ones that move a nation---Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address, MLK's I Have a Dream, Reagan's "Tear Down This Wall".

    So I think we are on the same page. Glad to hear that I was not the only one that enjoyed listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Roland cemetery almost every year since my kids hit middle school and haven't been to the parade at all... Mainly because it's difficult to get out to the cemetery due to traffic and parking, so I go early and find a good spot to park at the cemetery.
    With a high school band kid this year, we went to the Story City one and was very moved by their speaker. In 2 more years we'll have one in each school, so we'll split up and attend both for a while.
    I'm sorry to have missed the Roland speaker this year! Sounds like it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete