Tuesday, April 9, 2013

KC Royals donate $5000 to new fields at Britson Park

Some people don't like Mondays, but I liked yesterday. Janet at City Hall sent me a note saying there was a $5000 check sitting in my inbox from the Kansas City Royals. That's a good Monday. I filled out a grant request for a program they have to help build new fields in the Midwest. And fortunately they found our grant request worthy to be filled. We will use that money for finishing off the infields.

I wrote the grant request, so that is pretty exciting to me personally. But due to the help of a lot of people, I was able to put together a solid request. The folks on our Britson Park Committee who organize our fund raisers, and volunteer in park construction, really make for a good base (no pun intended) to show that progress is being made, we are raising money, and this isn't some fantasy. Our city staff has been a big help as well, as they deal with stuff like our 5K run checks/registrations and the questions that go with it, and taking on extra responsibilities in the park--digging a hole here, or spreading some dirt there.

It is really fun seeing this come together, and have enjoyed our planning sessions with our volunteers at the Legion. I really would like to have our council meetings at the Legion. They would be more fun with a shared pitcher of beer.

In case you forgot, another grant request from the Minnesota Twins netted us $10,000 for fencing. It is nice to be almost exactly between two MLB clubs. Those two teams have really nice ballparks, and they are helping us have a nice ballyard too. I endorse supporting the Royals and Twins back. Load up the kids and head to their parks this summer. I kinda am partial to the White Sox, but the Royals and Twins are better trips to take in the AL Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment