Friday, December 10, 2010

Mayor/Dog Catcher

Tonite about 5:30, I got a call on my cell, from my son at home, who said I was supposed to call Casey's about a dog that kept walking into the store.

Ok.

So I called Casey's and found out that apparently there was a black lab that would wait for somebody to open the door, and he would try to sneak in. Nobody at Casey's knew whose dog it was, so some customer had the bright idea that they should call the mayor.

I'm not mad, more amused than anything. As I was in Ogden at the time. So I called our Streets guy Harold, and he offered to leave home and try to corral the dog. If he didn't know who owned the dog, the dog was going to end up in doggie jail for the weekend.

Harold never called me back, so I don't don't know the outcome. But I have a lot of takeaways from this.
1. We have smart dogs in Roland.
2. Often you hear the phrase about politicians, "I wouldn't elect that guy to Dog Catcher." Hey, I got elected to Mayor, and if that ever goes away, I still have a shot at Dog Catcher.
3. On a more serious note, this is an example of the good stuff that our city employees do that doeesn't always get noticed. Harold was home on a Friday evening, but immediately left to help on this issue. It is nice to have employees with that kind of dedication to be a troubleshooter for problems in town.
4. I really love living in a small town in Iowa. I don't know if I have gotten a mayor call in a couple months, and when I do, it is about a dog trying to sneak in a convenience store. If that is the worst problem I get pestered about, we've got a great town.

And in honor of the call....

No comments:

Post a Comment