Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lots of visitors to Roland last weekend

First up, on Saturday, 151 people registered and ran or walked in the Spring Training 5K Run/Walk. It was a fundraiser for Britson Park & Athletic Complex. There was also a pancake feed at the Legion at the same time. With runners getting free pancakes, and non-runners able to pay for them.

I was really impressed with the number of runners we had. About 50 were walkups, which I'm sure were waiting to see what the weather was like. And it was really nice.

The course was a nice tour of the city. We couldn't run out west by the park, as there is no safe way to get runners on/off Maple without doing road detours and all that. But I am proud of the all the people that volunteered to help with this, such as the Kiwanis, and there efforts on the pancake part, and the folks who actually set up the race. As a runner, I appreciated the locals who sat out on their sidewalk and encouraged us.

Then on Sunday, about 10 different fire departments came to Roland to participate in the burning down of one of the elevator buildings on the Key Co-Op property. Key wanted the building down, and so it was used as a training opportunity. Off the top of my head, I saw fire trucks from Slater, Huxley, McCallsburg, Colo, Zearing, Nevada, Story City, Radcliffe, Boxholm, Jewell.

I know we had a good crowd on hand to watch. It was a good drill for the fire departments. I know we dammed up the creek, and used the water from the creek for some of the drill. Here is a short video I made of the burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment