Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 thought

Today is obviously the anniversary of the attack on our country by insane members of a death cult. The anniversary reminded me of something I do as a mayor. Not a big deal, and I've never mentioned it before, but wanted to use this occasion to mention it. Not sure if anybody has even noticed, but here ya go...

One of the jobs of mayor is to run the city council meetings. We are given an agenda of all the items to discuss. And first up on every meeting is the roll call.

I'm assuming you've heard the story, but on that fateful day, when passengers on hijacked Flight 93 heard about the other planes crashing, they did the brave thing and decided to attack their hijackers. Some passengers were on airphones to family during the event, and it was reported that passenger Todd Beamer said, "Let's roll," just before the passengers' efforts to storm the cockpit.

I like the attitude, and the bravery of Todd and the other passengers on that flight. So that phrase resonated with me.

So using the word "roll", ever since I have been mayor, I start our meetings with, "Let's Roll, Call."

So if you notice the slightly odd pausing with how I say it, it is my quiet tribute to those passengers on 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment