Saturday, July 17, 2010

This is awesome!

Just got sent a link about the Historical Society paying to get all of the issues of The Roland Record digitized. That was Roland's newspaper until it closed up in 1975. I didn't move to Roland until 1997, but I love history, and it is so interesting to read what was going on in Roland in years past.

In the last issue in 1975, I saw an ad for Casey's. I didn't know Casey's was in Roland for that long. Then in the 60s, it appears Roland had competing grocery stores. I liked looking at the low food prices in the ads. I'm sure the Roland old timers could fill me in, but still, it was very interesting.

Haven't had time yet, but I am going to look at the news stories when Roland High closed up, and had the merger with Story City High. So anyway, check it out.

1 comment:

  1. May 30, 1968 is the issue noting the vote to approve the merger of the schools. Also mentioned was Gilbert pondering a merger into Ames. I guess that never happened.

    May 15, 1969 issue has the pictures of the last graduating class.

    ReplyDelete